Friday, April 2, 2010

A couple more specific prayer requests

I know that so many people have been praying for us and for the baby - and this blog is a great way to keep so many people updated all at once. I've been thinking about adding in some other "prayer requests" for a while, specific things for people to pray for during this pregnancy.

I already mentioned that one of the most important things for the baby's survival is that the rib cage is not too small for her lungs to grow. This is still the most important specific thing that people can pray for - that her lungs will have room to grow and be large enough to support her life when she is born. 

Another thing that I'd really like prayer for is the amount of amniotic fluid that I have. Currently the levels are normal, but there are two common problems with babies with skeletal dysplasia, they often have either too much or too little amniotic fluid. Too much can be caused if the baby has problems swallowing, and too little can be caused if the baby has problems with the kidneys. At our last two ultrasounds, there were signs that the kidneys were swollen, this may indicate some kind of a blockage, so I don't know whether that means that we're more at risk for too little amniotic fluid, but so far everything is OK there. We can pray that it stays that way! 

Both of the problems with amniotic fluid levels may lead to the baby needing to come early - so please pray that I will be able to carry the baby to term, so that she has the best chance of development. I know it's already an uphill battle so she doesn't need the additional complications of being premature as well. 

Another thing is that it's quite common for babies with skeletal dysplasia to be breach. I think the reasoning is, their arms and legs aren't as long and strong for them to turn into the correct position. This may lead to needing a C section instead of being able to give birth naturally. I know that ultimately, if it's in the baby's best interest, we will need to do that. But I really don't want to have to go through that! So even though that's more a prayer request for me rather than for the baby, please add that point to your prayer list as well!!

There's just a week now until our next ultrasound so I'm looking forward to seeing the latest images and measurements of our little girl. Hopefully there'll be a bit of good news in there too. 

Thanks so much for all your support and prayers so far, I really appreciate it all. I don't think I would be able to go through this hard time without my family and friends who have really given me so much strength, and ultimately that strength comes from God. So thanks for thinking of us and praying for us. Please remember to keep us in prayer over the next few months as well :) There's still a lot ahead of us...

3 comments:

  1. I had low amniotic fluid levels with Grant, and as you know, I had to have a C-section, my doctors assumed there was a problem with Grant. but turns out his kidneys are working great! I don't know what caused me to have a problem with that, but it doesn't always have to mean there is a problem with the baby. At one point in my ultrasounds, they thought Grant was missing a kidney, at another point they didn't think his bladder was functioning right...in later ultrasounds they figured out nothing was wrong, so don't let one ultrasound stress you too much! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and baby girl, Nicole! I can't wait to hear about your next ultrasound - I'm hoping you get some good news too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,

    I'll bear the specific things in mind in my prayers! I hope all be go well, do keep positive and I hope for good news in the oncoming scans!

    Warmest regards,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete