Friday, June 18, 2010

The Joys of Pregnancy

I'm not the kind of woman who loves being pregnant and feels like she's glowing with pregnancy joy and wonder. I have some friends who are like this and I just don't "get it" at all! For me, pregnancy is a means to an end - you want a baby, you get pregnant. 

I kind of liken pregnancy to a long flight. I love going back home to Australia to see my family. But to get there, I've gotta go to the airport two hours before my flight, go through immigration, sit in an uncomfortable, crowded seat for 9 hours, fight the other passengers through Sydney airport, wait for my bags and then there's that ridiculous customs line they have in Sydney (that must be the part that is like labour) - all before I can begin to enjoy actually being back home. There are some weird people who love flying and all that it involves - but for most people, it's a necessary evil. 

Earlier in my pregnancy when we started having medical issues, my mum said to me "Just enjoy your pregnancy - don't let this change your excitement etc" - I looked at her and said "Mum - I didn't even enjoy my pregnancy with Lana, how am I meant to suddenly love being pregnant this time around?"

I never ever missed being pregnant after Lana was born. I never thought about her hiccups and kicks when she was in my womb and wanted to feel them again. In fact, after she was born and I first found out I was pregnant again my first thoughts were "Oh great, this again!!" - I knew I wanted more kids and would like them close together but didn't really think about the actual "being pregnant" part until I saw that positive pregnancy test - and I wasn't looking forward to that part of having another baby. 

It's not that I've had hard or difficult pregnancies. I'm healthy as can be, I haven't had any morning sickness or other complications in either of my pregnancies. I don't bloat up like some women do. I haven't put on excessive amounts of weight. The worst things that I have to deal with is a bit of pelvis pain (more so the 2nd time around, probably because of carrying Lana so much as well), some leg cramps a couple of times a week, and just the uncomfortable feeling of carrying around the extra weight.

I think that now that I'm approaching the end of this pregnancy, I'm really looking forward to the end of it all. I know firsthand that the hard work really starts once the baby is born - and probably in this situation, even more so! But at least then I can do the hard work in my own body instead of sharing it with someone else ;) I hope that the next 6 weeks or so go by quickly!!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I hope the next 6 weeks go by quickly for you too!

    Love and prayers,

    Rina.

    PS. I think you look good being pregnant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, I'm not a pregnancy lover either. Can't wait to have this baby and be just me again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you WILL be sharing the hard work with someone else - me!

    Love,
    Bernard

    ReplyDelete