Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Another CT

Tomorrow is Maddy's three month birthday. For the past two months, she's pretty much just been growing, having some therapy each day and beginning to learn to take milk by the mouth (slowly, slowly...). It was the end of August that she had her CT scan - and since then, there hasn't been any new tests done at all. The doctors were just mainly wanting for Maddy to grow in a safe environment so that they could deal with her problems later when she was bigger and stronger.

The past two months, Maddy has grown a LOT. She has also improved a lot - her stridor (noisy breathing) is almost completely gone (this was her major issue, the reason why she has been in NICU for so long). This could indicate that her airway most probably is not as narrow as the earlier CT scan indicated. She also has pretty good neck control - which can help to stabilise any neck instability (we are still not sure if there even IS any instability in her neck, the MRI will tell us that later on). 

Today, the doctors told us that they are ready to start to reassess Maddy - and the first step is to repeat the CT scan that she had when she was about three weeks old. We're hoping and praying that the CT scan will show that her airway is not as narrow as it seemed when she was younger so that we can then move ahead with the MRI and bronchoscopy and then bring her home. I'm really hoping and praying that she will be able to be home by Christmas. I'm not sure if it is likely - but it is definitely within the realm of "possible" at least...

Please pray that the CT can be scheduled soon - most likely it will be done in two to three weeks. I'd love it to be even earlier, of course. And please also pray that the results of the CT scan will show great improvement. I really believe that Maddy's condition is not as severe as the previous tests indicated and would love for the CT scan to confirm that. I would LOVE for the CT scan to show that Maddy is ready to come home right away without anything needing to be done - but I'm not sure whether the doctors will let her come home without the bronchoscopy, even if the results were fabulous. At the very least, we want for the results to show that her airway is significantly larger, large enough to proceed with the MRI/bronchoscopy.

On one hand, I'm excited that SOMETHING is happening again - after the past two months of pretty much just waiting... but on the other hand, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. I want so badly for Maddy to be able to come home and it's been delayed for so long already, I don't know if I could take it if they did this CT scan and then decide they want to do nothing and wait for Maddy to grow for another two months... Of course I'd have to accept it if that were the case - but I just really hope that this time, we're going to start getting some good news and we can start to think about Maddy coming home... I really miss her...

8 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and Maddy. Will include you in when I have words with the BIG GUY today. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for yall! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad they are doing something, and I hope it means you can bring her home at long last!!! Praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there, I know its a difficult situation to be in. I'm adding my prayers to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that her CT scan gets scheduled soon, and it shows great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you all... Hoping all is well with this CT scan and that you can indeed take her home by Christmas! :D Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to a great report. Happy 3 months Maddy! May you continue to see God's mighty hand at work in your time of waiting. Love you all heaps, Mum, Dad and Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome - Some action!!! It's been a hard wait I'm sure. Hoping for the very VERY best outcome.... Love you! xxx Channy
    P.S. Those cheeks of hers are borderline criminal in their cuteness and Lana... what a doll!

    ReplyDelete